Monday, July 23, 2012

Your so pretty, but…


How many of us hear this…followed by some awful back handed compliment.  One you can’t take anyway but badly. 



Your face is sooo pretty (to bad you’re so big).  It’s a classic remark from some skinny person who has no way, any understanding at how awful that lil remark is.  And we know what you’re really saying and you may not have said it but you might as well have.  We have all heard some variation of this in some way or another. 



I was talking with a friend of mine who just had weight loss surgery.  And she was telling me her stories of “you’re so pretty but”.  Some made me want to scream.  Honestly people have no brains or at least don’t use them when talking.  Just because we are obese does not make us an alien to point at and make excuses for.  I have feelings.  If you cut me I bleed red just like you. 



Yeah we are all pretty or handsome depending on the reader.  But I like to define beauty by what lies beneath the skin.   I don’t need top model looks to feel excepted by society (though I will not lie it would be nice).  What I need and want is a beautiful soul.  And to surround myself with people who are beautiful. 



It was funny when my friend also told me I was the only person who noticed her weight loss when she had only lost 15 pounds.  I can tell the look when your face starts getting that “sunk in” look.  You know that look where your cheek bones make an appearance again. Lol.  Regardless I always thought she was pretty.  She has a soul that shines right thru her weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment