Friday, September 21, 2012

Indignities


I was just sitting here comparing stories with my boss about the indignities we had suffered due to our weight.    

For example:

The day I tried to walk over a baby gate and I tripped, fell hard and broke my foot and sprained my wrist.  Nice trip to the ER the next day because the pain was so intense.  I was so upset with myself because in my mind I wouldn’t have fallen if I didn’t weigh as much.   But the fact is if I wasn’t acting like a high jumper I wouldn’t have broken my foot.

Using restrooms that were so small a skinny person had to squeeze in.  So I had to “air dry” because I couldn’t move to get TP and clean.

Going out to eat and being seated in the booth where you cannot adjust your chair so you couldn’t fit and had to ask the waitress for a real table.

Going to a store to buy a present for a friend and being asked if I was sure I got the right size while they appraised me with a look that said “yeah right you’re not a medium”.

Going to stores that sell plus sizes.  To learn you’re no longer able to fit into their plus sizes and had to find a fat girl store.

Going out with friends and they want to walk around but after 15 minutes your winded and your back hurts so you end up killing the night and leave early.

You own a King size bed that you fill half of and the covers are not long enough to cover you and your husband so you have to sleep with a throw wrapped around you so you don’t freeze.

When you move people can hear your bones squeak when you move because of the stress the weight has caused.

You suffer an embarrassing case of adult acne brought on by the mass amounts of McDonalds you have been eating, and it won’t go away.

You are petrified of killing your pets by stepping on them because you can’t see over your belly to your feet.  Or that you may roll over on them if you cuddle with them and fall asleep.  Or sit down without looking beforehand.

You took a shower but find that you suffer from an over active sweat gland so you always look greasy.

Bending over to pick up something you dropped and your pants splitting.

Learning that the pants that now fit you have elastic waist bands.  Lord knows the buttons would pop otherwise.

Walking in a mall and hearing a kid yell “mommy look at the fat lady.”

Working in a maternity store and all the mom to be asking when my due date is.

No comments:

Post a Comment