Thursday, September 13, 2012

Donate!


I know this has nothing to do with the program or losing weight.  But I tend to write what I feel.  I feel blessed. 

I have been donating to two shelters that work with ferrets.  I have always worked with these shelters.  And I am more blessed then some so I tend to donate as much as I can as often as I can.  I have always wanted to make the world a better place for the beasties that have done nothing and have lost so much. So starts my story.  One of the shelters is fairly self-sustaining and after brow-beating the president I finally fell on something I could do for them.  Every year we have a fund raiser that is really fun and profitable for the shelter.  Every year I help set up but I never donated anything to raffle off.  Until now…I found an entire basket of goodies ferret related (because let’s face it.  Us ferret freaks are crazy) About 200 dollars’ worth of it.  It’s funny because I think I may bid on this bit of stuff too. Lol.  But the other shelter was easier to help.  She is full shelter and no outreach so she makes less money to house, feed and doctor the sick.  She is on a day to day basis and never knows where she will get the next batch of food or meds.  So my husband and I thought for a bit and bought three months of food. (it’s a couple hundred pounds for about 50 ferrets she shelters).  But I still didn’t feel like I did enough.  I had for weeks been asking her about her vet bills and if she needed help.  I had all this money from my inheritance and I wanted to pay it forward a bit.  I mean I didn’t have the money before so it’s not as if I was really going to miss it.   Finally my husband called the vet.  And begged them to tell us how much was on her bill.  Believe it or not they didn’t want to tell us.  We had to beg!  Finally the Vet told us and we paid it off.  All $2100 of it.  We didn’t know it, but after we paid the bill off the vet called her and left a voice mail only saying “you have to call me now!”  So of course she was concerned.  She always has a little one in the vet due to illnesses caused by nature or neglect.  She called and was shocked when he told her that the bill was paid off and by whom.  That’s when we got a call from her crying.  This is when I thought something happened.  So of course I was concerned.  Until she finally thanked me.  That’s when I started to cry too.  I feel sooo damn good giving something I normally couldn’t.  It is a very powerful feeling that I loved.  And with that I want to beg anyone who can to donate to your local shelters.  Pick one that suits you but donate.  Some if not most are hand to mouth.  They need us all!

 

Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment