Friday, September 14, 2012

Failed Attempts


Before I landed on Medifast I had made a few halfhearted attempts to lose weight.  I really didn’t try.  I would eat healthy for a week and expect a 100 pound difference.  I would work out for a week and expect the same results.  I remember the longest I stuck to a diet was when I was doing a metabolic diet and I was eating the wrong things because my body craved the unhealthy.  I was always eating like I was supposed to and I was always hungry.  Bam!  Another failure!  And with each attempt I would gain back what little I lost and then some.

I see this as a learning curve now.  I did the same thing when I wanted to quit smoking and it took at least 6 attempts to quit.  And of course with each of those attempts I gained a bunch of weight.  But I finally got the knack of it and have been quit for two years the longest I have stayed quit.  I still love the smell, but I made a promise to my grandfather I would stop the day he passed.  It’s high time I keep that promise I made so long ago. 

I have seen lots of posts on the blogs and the threads about people giving up so soon after they started.  I find this sad because I actually understand.  They are going thru the failed attempts stage.  And I often want to reach out give them a hug in support and help them.  But the only people who can really help us, is US.  We are given all the tools and all the support but the only people who can make that effort is us.   I can’t strong arm someone into losing weight.  Just like nobody could strong arm me into quitting smoking.  My only hope is they read the posts.  They see others who have/are succeeding. Seeing those who are surpassing surprising personal challenges and think that yes they can too!

I said this earlier today.  I find anyone and everyone who is working to better themselves an inspiration.  I am walking the walk and understand that it’s not easy.  It’s not even easy to talk the talk.  Because no matter what is said or done only one person can make that difference.  Only one person can get past the failed attempts and say “enough”. I raise my glass of water and toast you all who have challenged yourself and won.  If it were not for you guys I don’t think this would have worked.  I would have chalked it up to yet another failed attempt.

 

Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment