Wednesday, October 3, 2012

“The fat news lady”


I became aware of a video on YouTube yesterday.  If you can’t guess what it may be about it’s the “fat news woman” video. 




I sent it to a co-worker to watch because I was applauding this brave lady who stood up for herself so eloquently in front of the public eye.  When she watched it she said she didn’t find it a case of bullying.  Where I had to disagree.  As a former obese woman I have been called fat, pointed and laughed at and degraded by kids and adults alike.  The LAST thing someone wants or needs to hear are hurtful things like this.  I have no idea if this man felt he was being helpful but he was certainly hurtful. 
As I told my friend, when I was called fat it didn’t send me running to lose weight.  The opposite happened.  I ran and gained more by eating, drinking or feeling sorry for myself and just being out right lazy.  I equated it to smoking.  When someone tells a person who smokes to quit, do you see them run off to quit?  Doubtful any of us have seen that.  The reverse usually holds true.  They deny, refuse and argue that they are fine. 

It is a person’s right to be how they are.  Fat, Skinny or jerks alike, so remember this when you look at someone who doesn’t fit into your version of normal.  You too are being judged!  How does that make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment